Junior Chefs 3-Day Camp: Eating America! (Regional American Cuisines)
The Culinary Center of Kansas City
7920 Santa Fe Drive, Overland Park,
Kids Camps Hands On BBQ
Junior Chefs 3-Day Camp: Eating America!
Once you register your young chefs (ages 9-14) for this interactive 3-Day cooking camp, you’ll be able to relax knowing they’ll be well educated and have fun on our culinary trip across America! Experienced instructor, Bruce Campbell, will lead these informative cooking classes where kids can travel across the country (figuratively speaking, of course) as they learn to cook 3 uniquely different regional cuisines - New Orleans Cajun & Creole, a taste of Hawaii, and some finger lickin’ Kansas City Barbecue favorites. Plus, Bruce is an award-winning BBQ competitor and he’s set aside one day to share some of his grilling knowledge with the kids and lay the foundation for the art of grilling and BBQ local specialties found right here our neck of the woods. And here’s the bonus … they will have the recipes and the know how to DO ALL OF THIS AGAIN at home! Whoa…you say? Well, relax because it’s true. A super fun summer camp experience that will teach culinary skills kids will use for the rest of their lives.
Day #1: Southern Cooking: Today we study FLAVOR! We'll start with seasonings and how to mix them. The kids will take home their very own customized seasoning mix. Then we'll dig deep into the Cajun/Creole world of New Orleans with Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya, Shrimp Po-Boy Sammies and we'll even make the iconic Bread Pudding With a Sweet Butter Sauce. Ooo La Wee! Some kinda fun in the kitchens today.
Hands On / Take-Home Seasoning Mix / Tastings
Day #2: Pacific Island Cuisine: I don't know what will be more fun...cooking foods like Huli Huli Chicken or saying the recipe name! The kids will learn how to work with the ingredients indigenous to Hawaii and other Pacific Islands. There will even be a kid-friendly drink that features pineapple! Aloha kakahiaka Junior Chefs & a fun cooking session!
Hands On / Tastings
Day #3: KC BBQ Styles: Kids in Kansas City don't know what it's like to NOT have choices when it comes to fantastic BBQ foods right? It's an absolute MUST that they carry on the local traditions to the next generation. Today it's about grilling fundamentals, How to make BBQ Rubs and BBQ Sauces and of course how to grill meats, vegetables and even dessert! Clear a shelf at home for all the competition BBQ awards that these kids will mop up as they grow up! Long live BBQ!
Hands On / Tastings NOTES:Please click here for a full description of our policies and FAQ’s. Finalization of your registration tells us that you have read and understand them. Below is a summary of some of the key information, but it is not all-inclusive.
- For all class registrations made after March 20, your class registration is non-cancellable and non-refundable. Should you be unable to attend, we suggest that you consider sending someone in your place. If possible, please let us know of any substitutions so that we can update our records. For all class registrations made prior to March 20, 2023, your registration is non-cancellable and non-refundable if your request to cancel is made within 72 hours of the start time for that class.
- If (a) you’d like to sit with another registered guest, or (b) have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, please let us know in the Comments section of your registration after reading our full description of policies and information about classes.
- Your registration tells us that you have read through the class description including the age requirements for that particular class.
- For Junior Chef Classes: You must be at least 9 years old as of the class date (or as of the first date of the first class of a series) and up to 14 years and you must have an ‘Under 18 Waiver’ that is signed by a parent or legal guardian. Click here for a copy of the ‘Under 18 Waiver’. We encourage you to download, print and sign the waiver and bring it to class with your child (or email it in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org). If someone other than the parent drops off your child and requests to sign on behalf of a child, they will need evidence that they are a legal guardian for that child. Please choose the class that is right for the developmental level of your child.
- If you are signing up for a Class Series: Please note that once the series has begun no substitutions will be allowed since the series is designed for the classes to build upon each other. In the event you miss a class in the series, no refunds will be given and it is not possible to make up the class(es) in a future similar series.
- Our Kitchen Shop Experience™ will be open for browsing prior to class, during any breaks, and after class.
Junior Chefs in the Kitchen™, Junior Chefs Academy™, Li’l Kids In The Kitchen™, Tiny Tots In The Kitchen™, Professional Culinary Arts Classes & Series™ and Pro Classes™ are trademarks and service marks of The Culinary Center of Kansas City®.